Breaking News
Loading...
Monday, May 2, 2011

Info Post

I have to admit to not feeling bullish about this year’s crop of summer movies. It’s hard to get excited about four months of unnecessary and seemingly uninspiring remakes, reboots, sequels, and second-rate superheroes. There will definitely be some pleasant surprises, though, right? I mean some of my favorite films last year came out during the hot summer months. Inception and Toy Story 3 were incredible. Scott Pilgrim vs. The World and Salt were really fun surprises. And The Kids Are All Right, Get Low, and Joan Rivers: A Piece of Work filled the independent niche quite well. So what will be the 2011 standouts? Let’s start at the beginning.

May begins with our first big superhero project: Thor. Though I was intrigued when Kenneth Branaugh was announced as director, I thought everything about it went downhill from there. First, there were the cheesy stills with Anthony Hopkins and his eye patch. Then, there was the silly trailer. And another silly trailer. And some really silly TV spots. But what of the reviews? Well, they’ve been good—really good actually. I don’t think many people are saying it’s another The Dark Knight, but as long as it’s fun, that’s good enough for me.

Two weeks later, we head back to the weird and wild seas for another adventure with Captain Jack Sparrow in Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides. Man, talk about a series past its prime. I don’t know anyone who enjoyed the bloated third edition, and considering it seemed to wrap everything up should have meant these characters could sail off into the sunset forever. Of course, this is Hollywood, and nothing that makes money can die, so here we are. Does anyone think this will be any good? I sure don’t.

May closes out with two more unnecessary sequels. Kung Fu Panda 2: The Kaboom of Doom might not be so bad. Dreamworks has a checkered history with sequels (Shrek 2: good, Madagascar 2: bad), but the original was enjoyable enough, so this one might be alright. The Hangover Part II, however, just looks awful. It’s one of my least anticipated films of the year. I thought the first was predictable, unlikable, and for the most part, quite unfunny. The second, it seems, is the same exact movie in a different locale. That being said, it’ll probably be one of the biggest films of the summer.

OK, so May’s not looking great. What about June? Like May, it starts with a big superhero project—X-Men: First Class. Though I definitely have X-Men fatigue (after the unwatchable X-Men Origins: Wolverine), I’m actually kind of looking forward to this one. Matthew Vaughn has some serious talent, and I’m curious to see how he handles a straight superhero project after satirizing the genre with Kick-Ass.

The following week is big. Super 8 is easily one of my most-anticipated films of the summer (I think that’s the case for everyone, really). The only thing more flawless than J.J. Abrams’ track record is the marketing for this movie. The teaser was brilliant, but the full trailer even got me more excited. Though we still really don't know much about it, I think it’ll be something special—and maybe our first Best Picture contender of the year.

June 17 brings two potential blockbusters. I’m thinking Green Lantern is either going to be amazing or terrible. The special effects look cool, but boy oh boy, the idea of an intergalactic crime-fighting squad flying through space and reciting their oaths just sounds like the makings of a train wreck. I hope director Martin Campbell can prove me wrong because I’m a fan of his. But consider me skeptical. Same goes for Mr. Popper’s Penguins, the week’s other big film. It won’t be getting a cent from me. That’s standard for most Jim Carrey movies, but this one just looks like bad news.

June closes on a better note. I’m certain Cars 2 will be good, but I’m in line with the legions of Pixar fans who are disappointed by the decision to make a sequel out of its worst film. The annual Pixar film is usually a highlight on every summer lineup; This year, I’m only marginally excited for their film. It’s competition is Bad Teacher, a film that I think could be the sleeper hit of the year. The trailer totally sold me, and I think Cameron Diaz oozes untapped comedic potential. I’ll definitely be there.

That’s part one of my three part summer movie preview. Later this week, you’ll see a similar preview of July and August, and the week will wrap up with a summer indy preview, as well as some top 10 lists.

0 comments:

Post a Comment