Breaking News
Loading...
Friday, October 28, 2011

Info Post
This is the fourteenth entry in a series in which I'll countdown my 20 favorite scenes from the last 10 years in movies. To catch up more with the idea of this project, to see the other entries on the countdown, and to find out how you can contribute, click here.

We're in the big leagues now. Honestly, I don't know how this one landed all the way down at #7 on my list, but that just speaks volumes of the six scenes in front of it.

This one was mentioned by several people when I made the call for suggestions, and it's not hard to see why. While I considered The Joker's magic trick as a possible entry on the countdown, it was clear this was The Dark Knight's best moment. It sets up the film's final third brilliantly, and it really speaks toward Batman's themes. Nolan had a lot to say with this film—perhaps more than any other superhero movie director to date. And I don't think any other scene in either of his films in the series so far have said more about the thin line that separates hero from villain.



The scene is also just totally bad-ass, no? I mean it's got Batman at his most pissed-off and The Joker at his most diabolical. So what does our hero do? Smash his face into a steel table, of course. It's nice seeing The Joker getting dealt a little punishment, but even cooler when he turns the tables on his captors. Heath Ledger, of course, owns the role, and this is the most emotive and intense Christian Bale is able to get in a somewhat limiting role.

I love The Dark Knight, and I'm sure most of you do, as well. Approve of my choice? Or is there another scene you prefer?

Back tomorrow with two great scenes: One from a 2008 favorite, the other from 2001.

0 comments:

Post a Comment