Breaking News
Loading...
Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Info Post
limecrime lipstick a

A couple of months ago I took a big step: I got a lipstick that wasn't MAC.

!!!

If you have been reading this blog for a while, you will know that I am rather devoted to my Mac matte lipsticks. I love the velvet-like finish of Ruby Woo, and Russian Red is great for everyday.

But late one night, browsing the web, I saw, again, the price difference of MAC lipsticks between here and the US – US$12 vs. AUS$35, at the time. It's a pretty big difference, non? And frankly I made a scowly-pouty face and shut down the window.

I'd heard so many amazing things about Lime Crime that I thought I'd take a look. To be honest, so much continual praise actually makes me a bit wary; I think it can be a bit too easy to say something’s great because everyone else says so, and no one wants to feel left out. I don't want to jump on the me-too bandwagon for no good reason!

Anyway, I went straight to the lipstick section, and of course loved the vintage-styled, Veronica Lake-esque image. I chose the Glamour101 opaque wine lipstick. Described as a brown-based retro red, the blurb tells us that the lipstick is vegan friendly, highly pigmented with a creamy texture, and it is promised to last for hours.

And this all sounds pretty good to me!

So, how did I find it?

In a word: fantastic!

The delivery and packaging: it arrived really quickly, and the cost was reasonable. The packaging is definitely distinctive! I never would have thought that purple and unicorns and twinkly holograms would be my thing but I actually quite like it. Plus it makes it easy to find in a drawer/at the bottom of a bag.

The colour: is a great red, definitely strong but not as vibrant as some of my other ones. This makes it great for everyday wear. I find it is actually slightly blue based, and I wouldn't describe it as wine coloured, but more of a, well, red. That said, it does have some peachy, berry undertones… and now I feel like I'm talking about actual wine. Let's quickly move on to…

The texture: it really is creamy. The sound of this did worry me a little, as I’m used to matte lipsticks that are most definitely not creamy, that last all day and refuse to budge for something as minor as, say, a three course meal plus drinks. I have actually found this creamy texture really comfortable, and quite moisturizing, too. It also doesn't smudge too easily. It does, of course, come off a bit after eating or drinking, but usually it comes off pretty evenly, and a quick reapplication gets it back to perfect.

The finish: has a little shine without actually being shiny. A nice smooth, creamy look, it lasts all day and does stay put. In fact, the one con I can think of is that it is a little bit hard to remove..! I take mine off at the end of the night with paw paw cream or cold cream, tissues and a face cloth. It takes several goes. I don't think of this as a big problem.

EDIT: a reader asked: is the shade darker or lighter than Mac's Russian Red, and did I use a lip liner? 
I found the shade maybe marginally darker than Russian Red, and a bit less vibrant. It is still a red, though, and not a dark or wine red. I did use a lip liner (and should have mentioned this, sorry, I completely forgot!) and used the same one I use most days, MAC's Cherry. I find it works perfectly with this lipstick. Hope that helps! :)

The verdict: well, I am proudly in the converted camp. I think this is a great lipstick, and it’s become my go-to red for both everyday and evening wear. Considering I use it this much, it is lasting really well. Everything, from supporting an independent business, to the colour, the quality, and the price, is perfect for me. I can now make some happy pouty faces, and I will definitely buy this again!

EDIT PART TWO: please tell me if there is anything else you want to know. I am quite new to doing reviews and want to be helpful! Do let me know if you think there is something I can add/do differently that would help you :)

limecrime lipstick b
limecrime lipstick g
limecrime lipstick i
limecrime lipstick j

0 comments:

Post a Comment