Breaking News
Loading...
Sunday, November 4, 2012

Info Post
The risk we run with too much sensible, serious film criticism, is in forgetting that cinema is, like any art form, about strong personal responses; and that is why I am pleased to announce a new, albeit intermittent, series.

On the first and third Sundays of every month, barring those in which I have something else specific planned, I will be writing pieces - "reviews" might even be too strong of a term, sometime - of films in my own personal canon of the greats: films that I love more than they deserve; or love for reasons that are so specific to their place in my personal history that I cannot begin to separate out the rational reasons that they are good from the reasons I love them; or films that have some extremely specific role in my development as a cinephile that I can't really be objective about them.

In short: films that I'm writing about just because I want to write about them, and to hell with sense or timeliness or reason.

Pauline Kael once said, about her film criticism, "I'm frequently asked why I don't write my memoirs. I think I have." This series, then, shall be my autobiography. It is my pleasure to share it with you.

The first entry goes up tonight. It will be... spectacular, spectacular.

0 comments:

Post a Comment