Breaking News
Loading...
Monday, March 12, 2012

Info Post
bolte bridge

Last Friday I was chuffed to have a look at the LMFF National Graduate Showcase. I was really looking forward to this, as it is a great chance to see new talent show what they can do before the working world constraints kick in. Here we have a chance to see some strong conceptual work with lots of personality, as well as the exciting looks and styles that could be on our horizons.

With the incredible popularity of Mary Katrantzou – whose work I love, and yes, I really wanted the pheasant dress she did for Topshop, but it was sold out in my size, so sad! – it’s no surprise that dramatic shapes and bold prints are flowing through fashion veins at the moment. Here are the designers whose work I’d like to share with you.



natalia_g
This jacket by Natalia Grzybowski immediately caught my eye. The full peplum-like frill is a great shape that I would love to wear, and the natural world print reminded me of scientific or biological diagrams, bought to life with colour.


amelia_agosta
Amelia Agosta’s work featured sculpted silhouettes, created using layers of fabric. I thought this dress was really striking, and the demure pale pink and black neckline with the out-there skirt was most appealing – I’d love to know what it looks like on.


anna_langdon
More shape and colour from Anna Langdon, whose amazing work referenced Australiana and traditional folklore. I thought these large, curved shoulders with the embroidery were beautiful.


laura_huishan_li
Laura HuiShan Li presented Wind Blown, inspired by the feeling of wind on the skin. The contrast between the toughness usually associated with leather, and the delicate, flowing shapes created with it was fascinating, and impressive.


juyoung_seo
Juyoung Seo’s intricate work referenced the structure and detail of flora. Individual petals, constructed from layers of different fabrics and detailed with strands of thread, were layered, soft and ethereal.


chris_ran_lin
I loved the knits of Chris Ran Lin. Using both traditional and modern methods, I though they made a great looking showpiece, and the use of the chunky cable-like shapes would look great on everyday pieces, too.

0 comments:

Post a Comment